Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuller Bottoms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Trail reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Painted Horse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Fuller Bottoms Reply with quote

Last weekend we loaded up and hauled down to the San Rafael area of central Utah. We started at Fuller Bottoms, which is 15 miles east of Castledale Utah.

It was an OK ride, I'm not sure I would plan another trip to return to experience it a second time.

The trail ( really just cow paths ) follows down the San Rafael river. You start out in high desert and as you follow the river, you drop into what is know as the Little Grand Canyon. You get to see steep high walls that feature the prominent reds and pinks of Utah sand stone. Following the river you have access to water for the horses.

The river does get some serious flooding, But mostly during summer thunderstorm. You would want to be careful about riding that area when flash floods are possible. We had to cross the river about 8 times in our travel down stream. We were careful to select areas that appeared to have rocky shoals at the crossings. Most of these are pretty easy to find as it's the same places the cattle cross the river.

This weekend, the river was fairly low and easy to cross. But there was still frozen ice sticking out from the bank that indicated the water levels during the winter had been a foot or so higher.

Most of the ride you are right in the canyon bottom. But there were a couple of spots we had to climb up on the sides to go pass areas where the river cut off the floor of the canyon and was too muddy to cross.

The area was still pretty brown. Winter has not been gone long. Small patches of snow could be found in shady spots and frequently ice sheets still along the edge of the river. But as summer comes it will green up and the Cottonwood trees will leaf out.

We did an down and back ride that was 17 miles long. We basically hit a river crossing that the others in my group where not comfortable trying to cross. I got my horse across, but returned when the others couldn't motivate their horses to do the same. There are several loops you could make if you climbed up side canyons and rode the higher ground back to the trail head.

Back Country Horsemen have several trail description on their website for this trail head and a second trail head at Buckhorn draw.

There are indian ruins in the area.
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as all was thank you for the ride a long and the pictures I enjoy it Very Happy
JRR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great pictures!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Trail reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: