Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Packing List for Backcountry Camping and Riding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ladybugranchnm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Packing List for Backcountry Camping and Riding Reply with quote

So, seeing as how I'm going to make 2010 the year I really start camping and riding in the wilderness with my horse, I figure it's never too early to start researching and purchasing the things that I will need to take.

When ya'll are packing and getting ready for a trip, what is on your list of things to include in the truck/trailer?

For this year, I believe I will only be doing camping from my truck. In other words, I won't be packing into a location to stay the night (I'll save that for next year when my young horse turns four, and I teach her to pony and pack). I will set myself up at a trailhead and then ride out from there each day.

Now, I have camped with my horses before. However, it has usually been at family reunions and such, and I generally don't get to ride much. They end up being more of a training session for my horse rather than an enjoyable time "riding in the tall pines" for me, hehe.

Is there any one that that you guys consider THE most important thing to include (besides food and water, of course)? I mean, like a tool, or something that is essential for backcountry riding?

I'm looking forward to everyone's input. Very Happy

Nicole
Lady Luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nicole, I just saw someone posted a list of camping supplies on one of the boards so I have been trying to find it for you. But now I cant find it. Mad You need lots of lists of course. Does your trailor have living qtrs?
Lady Luck

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Nicole.
I found it. Go to www.gaitedhorsesense.com and go to the Trails to adventure thread. Fourth entry down from top is
Trail riding/Camping list from PEC started by Stablemind, IT is a good list to start with and then we can all tell you things to add to it. Know yu will have a blast this summer!!Dont forget duct tape!
ladybugranchnm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Lady Luck,

Thank you for the link. That's a good starting list. And I notice duct tape is listed on there twice, and you mentioned it too, so definitely something important! Laughing

I do not have a trailer with living quarters. I sooo wish I did. That will probably be my next big purchase. Anyway, right now I just have a two horse slant with a tack room. When I've camped in the past, I sleep in a tent, or with my parents in their fifth wheel.

I'm really looking forward to being able to get out there and ride this summer. I've got to get myself and my horse conditioned because in August I'm going up to Thermopolis, Wyoming to do the Outlaw Trail Ride. It's a 100 mile, 6 day guided ride on private land (well 90% of it is private). I'm really excited to go. Very Happy

Nicole
Painted Horse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep most everything I need in my trailer. All I have to add is food/water and I'm off. Things kinda collect. I need them and add them to the collection. And they just stay until i empty out the trailer for a serious cleaning.

So I will give you a partial list of what I remember.

I've got a couple extra sets of tack. I don't have room fof an extra saddle. But everything else. Blankets, bridles, cinch etc.

I have a 35gallon water tank in the trailer. And depending on where I go, I will sometimes add 1-2 more 15 gallon mini drums of water ( usually in truck bed). I use it for wash water and horse water. What I drink comes from water bottles. Four horses can go through 60 gallons of water pretty fast in the desert.

I keep several highlines and enough hobbles in the trailer for all my horses. I also keep a portable hot wire that I can set up a small corral with.

My rain slickers and chaps stay in the trailer. I'd sure hate to drive 4 hours to get someplace and have to sit in the trailer because it started to rain. In fact on mountain rides the slickers pretty much stay on the cantle of the saddle for every ride. I also try to keep some rain sheets for the horses in the trailer. If you've driven 4-5 hours, you really don't want to come home because an evening thundershower blows across the mountain. If the horses have worked hard all day, I think they deserve a rain sheet or blanket to help them stay warm while they are tied to a highline or trailer. I might only use the sheets a couple of times all year, So they migrate to the bottom of the pile. Full blankets are too bulky, take too much room. So for me it's 400 or 600 denier sheets.

I have a foam pad in the GN. I keep a couple of sleeping bags and a couple of old quilts up there. If it's warm, I just pull a sheet and quilt over me, If it's cold, I use the sleeping bag, If it's really cold, I use all of them.

Flashlights, headlamps, and a lantern. I keep a good flashlight under the seat of the truck and another in the trailer. If I have to go looking for a horse at night, I want a good powerful beam. I use the LED headlamps a lot for cooking, putting things away, early morning feedings etc. And a propane lantern is handy to light up the camp area,

I usually keep a Coleman camp stove in the trailer, a small ROLL up table, a couple of camp chairs. If we have more people than can sleep in the gooseneck, I throw in a couple of cots or a tent.

I keep matches for fires, Usually have a pint bottle of white gas or something flamable to help start a fire, Some TP, some wet wipes, a roll of paper towels, plastic garbage bags. I also have stolen a couple of old bath towels from my wife that I keep for when I wash up or take a dip in a lake, or just get caught in the rain and need to dry off.

I keep a hammer, Channel Lock Pliers, 10 in 1 Screw driver, lug wrench, A rasp, some bungies, some nylon parachute cord, duct tape, vet wrap in the trailer at all times. I usually have a carpet scrap that I throw out in front of the door to wipe feet on or in case I have to crawl under the trailer or truck to fix something, I can lay on it.

I keep some EasyBoots in the trailer, I have a first aid kit in the truck, I keep a pistol tucked away someplace. A couple of buckets to water the horses with, or I use them to wash dishes etc. I have a coupe of Poly hay nets, They don't take much space, and it gets the horses hay up off the ground.

If I have room, I sometimes bring the following, But they don't stay in the trailer. A generator, a cord, a 500 watt halogen light, a chain saw, a small microwave, a dutch oven, one of those compact grills Like a George Foreman. I fire up the generator and can cook a pork chop or hamburger really quick on those.

This is twenty years of what I've acumulated in the trailers. So there were a lot of camp trips with out most of this stuff. It just kind of accumulates in the trailer and finds a home there.
FtValleyPS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, now you're really giving me cabin fever, talking about gear in trailers, and like we're all ready to go ......!

I like your list, Jon, it's similar to ours, and you do sort of what we do, which is keep everything in the trailer, and when we're headed out all we have to do is put in food, water and our clothes and stuff and we're off. This fine system of ours has now advanced to the point that in 2009 we decided our standard Logan gooseneck trailer walk-in tack room/sleeping area wasn't big enough, so we ordered a CM "outfitter and guide stock trailer", which is a gooseneck stock trailer (16' stock area) with a 10' tack room area capable of holding everything and the kitchen sink. And guess what? Now we've got it almost as full as we had the old trailer ..... is there a lesson there? Nah, we need all the stuff once we're out there.

Here's an Idaho outfit that has some information about packing on their website, including an equipment list somewhere in there ..... http://packsaddleshop.com/index.php We bought a new packsaddle from these folks last year, good stuff.

Outfitter's Supply has some good information, too. http://www.outfitterssupply.com/decker-pack-saddle.asp

And Wyoming Outdoor Ind. has a good selection of packing equipment http://www.wyomingoutdoor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc
ladybugranchnm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Painted Horse,

Thanks for the lists! That is exactly what I want to eventually build up to, having most everything in the trailer and ready to go, and just having to throw in food and water before I go.

John, thanks for the links to the packing equipment.

One thing that I had never thought of was taking an extra set of tack. Definitely something I'll need to add to the trailer!

Well, it's snowing again here today. We had two good weeks where everything had mostly dried out. It was wonderful! But now, it's right back to a sloppy mess. Ugh.

Nicole
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: