Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The value of this forum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> The Campfire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FtValleyPS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: The value of this forum Reply with quote

First, I'd like to thank Sarah Rose for starting this forum. I've enjoyed it for a number of years now, and appreciate the reasons she started it and what she's done with it.

Next, please, other folks in this forum, please do not take anything I say here the wrong way. I mean my comments in a friendly way, and look forward to what I hope will be some good conversations here.

I write this little piece here around the Campfire because I think this forum has been fun and a good source of trails information about Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona, and some other places, too. I've enjoyed reading trail information here and providing some of it myself. But, as you know, interest in the forum has seemed to wane somewhat in the last year or so, and I think it's not because the forum isn't needed, but frankly because it maybe strayed a little too far afield and thus became a little too much for some folks to monitor along with everything else they're monitoring on-line? In other words, maybe too much information, and the baby gets thrown out with the bath water? I miss posts from other areas of Colorado, Utah and elsewhere!

So let me say this. There's a wealth of information stored on this site that would be terrible to lose. I would propose that we agree, as a community of friends, to try hard to limit our posts and information here to mostly the Four Corners states - and please don't throw any rotten tomatoes at me for saying that. The only reason I say this is so that maybe the forum can continue in a lively, viable way. I would hate for Sarah to get up one morning and say 'That's it." And Sarah, if I'm out of line with this, sorry. Also, I know for sure that on-line information about other state's trails is valued and needed, and hope there are outlets for that that would work.

So I'm just floating that out there. Loveduffy has been a pretty forlorn voice here, and frankly is what caused me to write this. Loveduffy, what do you think about this idea? Want to pull your chair up to the campfire and talk, tell us who you are and what you do? I have zero idea on that other than that you're from upstate New York and like pictures of 4C trails; I would like to know who you are and what you do, given how active you've been here in the past.

From my end, we had a great 2015 out on the trails of the San Juan National Forest and Rio Grande National Forest here in southwestern Colorado. We cleared a lot of miles of trail with our San Juan Back Country Horsemen friends and others, packed Forest Service trail crews all over the place, fixed trail, worked on the Continental Divide Trail, and did a lot of work at the Thirty Mile Stock Unloading Area near Rio Grande Reservoir west of Creede. We're in a pretty stout Winter now, with lots of snow up in Wolf Creek Pass, and we have a challenging 2016 coming, with some tough projects up high, along with our normal stuff we do every year, are looking forward to it.

So, there it is. Hope it all fits and works.
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well FTvalleyps ( John ) I think that if others like to post about trails they have been on I say go for it I like reading and some day hope to have time to go and ride these trails. What do I do well I am a barn manager in Westchester county for a very private barn the owns like to trail ride I love to trail ride and own a Belgium that is great on the trails I have not gone camping with him I am to nervous That is one thing I like reading about I have rented horses in different places to see the trails I hope this site stay up I think face book has take over a lot of talk but it not the same thank you Sara for keeping this site up Very Happy To me Four Corners Trails Is every were one more thing is this helps I am 58
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope every body comes back Crying or Very sad
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What dose everybody think tell us please Confused
Lady Luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree with you both more.This site has always been a go to for us who love to ride out in the mtns,Gods country!!The info is so appreciated and I guess we are all guilty of being on facebook too much and not the website.Sarah has helped us all make friends and get info on the trails and camping.I am a Colo.native transplanted in Mo.My daughter and I are blessed to be able to ride out west every summer!!So I hope we can all get back on board here as enjoy hearing from everyone,Love Duffy and Ftvalley thanks for bringing this up!!
ColoradoMtRider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Value of Forum Reply with quote

I have followed this forum for a while and used it to search out trail information in Colorado, Utah and Mexico. I have found it to be useful and Sarah helped greatly with a question regarding Lizards Head in 2015. I would like to see the forum specific to riding in the 4 corners area and the states contiguous to the 4 corners.

A couple of suggestions, would be when a trail is discussed, that the town, national forest, and other information specific to the ride be included. Example, if I write about Horse Ranch Park, to the reader it is ugh? Where is this? It is at Kebler Pass, west of Crested Butte, about 15 miles. The reader can then focus on the area.

As to the question of posting information outside of the contiguous states to 4 Corners. Generally, I am here to learn about the 4 Corners area. For those with Facebook, there are numerous groups. One particular is Horse Trails and Campgrounds across America. So many of the members (all 46,000) are from Southeastern USA; i.e., Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc. I don't pay much attention to this forum...as well as other forums that focus on an area that I am not likely to travel to...I digress.

IMO (humble as it is) I would like to see this forum focus on the 4 Corners that are Arizona, Utah, Colorado, & New Mexico. Peggy
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if it is just the 4 corners it will die I have used this site to hear story about trails that are ever were the I have been keeping an eye on this site for a long time even when no body was here for so long. So if any body whats to post about a trail yes put where it is ( state town ect ) and that way if the reader wont's to read about it they can or not Very Happy
mo qh trail rider

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you can tell. I haven't been on here for awhile. I still check in once in awhile, but when I don't see any new news, I move on. I agree that it would be very sad to lose this forum. We go "out west" every summer, and I have learned a lot from all of you. We rode Lizard Head last summer. Beautiful trail, but also a bit scary in a couple of areas. ColoradoMtRider, did you ride the Lizard Head Trail? I really don't have an opinion either way as far as keeping this forum only "Four Corners". I am OK with whatever the majority decides, as long as we keep this forum going.

Elaine
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so everybody in my mind I think of this site a a trailing site so please tell every body were you ride. It is also a way to let every body know these trails are open to horse a lot have been close around my area state ( NY ) park are pushing horses out Very Happy
mo qh trail rider

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I think maybe we should keep this site's posts with info about the 4 corners states. HCTAA can be used to obtain info about other areas.

Elaine
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be looking in from time to time still like to read about other places Very Happy
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is everybody given up Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> The Campfire All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: