Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trail training for phantom bears.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Training your Trail Horse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrw

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Trail training for phantom bears. Reply with quote

I've been boarding a horse this winter for a guy who wants me to train it for free, so I've been holding out for an offer of renumeration, but today I thought I might be able to use Lightening Bug as a teaching horse so I took her out for a trail ride.

She did pretty good until we turned up a small side canyon. Both the mule and Lightening Bug started acting stupid. After a few minutes we were coming through some tall dropseed, when she suddenly bogged down and sent me flying to a bellyflop on the sand. I still had the reins while I was laying there catching my breath so my mount didn't get to bolt away.

I got back on with some difficulty and then started noticing bear poop around. Hmmm. I guess that was the reason they were acting stupid. But Mr. Bear was no where to be seen so we made them press on another 300 yards to the old cottonwood tree before we turned back.

Lightening Bug has a few things to learn this week: 1) a one rein stop; and 2) to stand still during mounting. I don't know how to teach her to ignore the smell of bears. Would it do any good to get some bear scat and scatter it in the paddocks?

Yrs,
Patricia
osue077

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it. You don't have anything to lose. I'd even go as far as putting it on the horses tail (for the wafting effect) or an old halter. If nothing else, revisit that site a few times.
craftcorral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: desensitizing to bear scent Reply with quote

I agree - any exposure to such a stimulus with nothing bad happening will only build confidence in your mounts. In my former job, I had to capture black bears in large metal traps. So after I released the bear, I would park that very smelly trap next to the paddock so that the horses had to walk past it to come and go to the barn for feeding time. Lots of bugged eyes, snorting antics initially but by the end of the summer, the smelly traps would only get a mild look of unease. And I also rode around the trap, doing serpentine work at the trot. I think that you can accomplish the same with some droppings! Good luck!
WildTurkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patricia...A word of caution here relating to unintended consequences....Funny story since nobody or nothing ended up being eaten.
Had a friend of a friend kinda guy who was having trouble with javelina rooting up his property. Some well intending Samaritan told this fella what he needed to do was to go down to the County Zoo and ask for a couple of buckets full of lion or tiger poop. Man....you spread that big cat scat around your property and a javelina wont come close...TRUST ME...
Well.....he was right.....However what did start hanging around his property was a big tom mountain lion who wanted to know who the strange cat was that had invaded his territory !
jrw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildTurkey,
I love the concept of unintended consequences.
Yrs,
JRW
LOVEDUFFY

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some thing Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Training your Trail Horse All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: