Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

saddle panniers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arrowtree

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: saddle panniers Reply with quote

Have you guys ever used them and what ones do you like?
outfitters supply has some nylon saddle panniers for 90.00. The pack station has codura ones that look a little heavier duty for 160.00. I'm sure there are others. What do you guys like, use?

I need some for this fall hunt and need to decide on which ones to get.
thanks Rod
FtValleyPS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: saddle panniers Reply with quote

arrowtree wrote:
Have you guys ever used them and what ones do you like?
outfitters supply has some nylon saddle panniers for 90.00. The pack station has codura ones that look a little heavier duty for 160.00. I'm sure there are others. What do you guys like, use?

I need some for this fall hunt and need to decide on which ones to get.
thanks Rod

Rod, seems like a fair number of folks use saddle panniers along with regular pack panniers, and especially for situations like packing game out on a horse you rode in on, or when you're not carrying real heavy loads. The reason I say not with real heavy loads is because it's been my experience that it's tough to get saddle panniers good and tight for a heavier load. Some of the less expensive saddle panniers have nylon webbing straps that are difficult to use and are really hard to keep tight, seems like. The ideal situation for a saddle pannier, I think, would be either canvas or ballistic nylon panniers with leather straps, or at least good nylon straps. My personal preference for smaller panniers of any type is canvas, larger ones ballistic nylon. And then don't plan to load the saddle panniers like you would a pack saddle pannier; think of the single cinch on the saddle horse with the balanced rider versus double cinch on a pack horse, etc. But anyway, the straps are the key thing in my experience. I think this is definitely one of those deals where you get what you pay for ...
arrowtree

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking these might work. Should be able to pack out a deer after skinning, gutting and quartering it.

http://kenstents.com/product_info.php/cPath/26/products_id/50
Lonnie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a pair I use on colts to get them used to the load. There are good ones and bad ones. If you buy any be sure to spend a little more and get the ones with the briching and brest collar. The others just swing free and your load shifts every time the animal gose op ur down a slight grade.
2rocky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad uses Saddle panniers, while I sling using 50 ft of 3/8ths inch rope.

it is a balancing act finding a set of saddle panniers tough enough and compact enough to carry behind the cantle.

This bull was "gutless" quartered. (No ribs, took off the hams at the joint, shoulder and boned the loins , tenderloins and rib meat.)

arrowtree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! looks like you have some meat stuffed in your saddle bags too.
Painted Horse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm slow to respond to this. Don't normally watch this section of the website.

I use saddle panniers a lot. mainly for the reasons already mentioned of being able to roll them up and put them behind the cantle while I'm hunting and then unroll and throw them over the saddle to pack out game. For that purpose, I also use them to pack in camp, since I don't want to have two different saddles up on the mountain.

Davis Tent and Awning in Brighton Colorado has some great panniers made out a non-tear codura fabric. Really light weight but almost impossible to tear or rip. I prefer that because they are so much lighter and easier to roll up tight vs the old heavy duck white canvas like your link above shows. If I'm going to be riding the horse with the panniers rolled up behind the saddle cantle, I want to be able to get leg up and over what ever is tied on there.

You can see them on this horse. Which is just packing my lunch. A light load, but I wanted her to get out for some exercise

Since I have several sets of panniers, I have not bought a dedicated pack saddle., So I use the panniers in the summer for light pack trips. I do add a "H" pack on top of the panniers and stuff it with sleeping bags on cloths

When we shoot something, We just throw it in or on the paniers and lead the horse out. Elk I cut up, usually bone out, Deer I just load whole. If nothing else, The panniers protect the saddle from the blood and chafing of a deer being thrown over the saddle

They don't look as pretty or present the image that you know what you are doing. But they get the job done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: