Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Land Between the Lakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Trail reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Land Between the Lakes Reply with quote

So our trail riding trip there last weekend was a bust - the reason? ROCKS!

The camp itself was quite nice. Bathhouse, typical (didn't want to spend any more time in there than I had to, lol). The people there were very friendly. The trails were well-marked and they had a very good trail map.

You were allowed to picket your horses at your campsite, which I saw lots of people doing. The stalls were clean and airy, but quite small (I'd say 8x12, maybe even narrower, my horses who aren't large - 14.3 and 15.1 - could barely turn around in them) and each had a couple of large strips of conveyor belt material in them, which were not flat at all, had a large ridge down the middle.

On the three trails we tried, there were long areas of streambed-type rocks, a combination of stones from golf-ball-sized to ostrich-egg-sized. They were in place on most climbs and descents (don't know if they were added for erosion). A big learning for me as I didn't ask particular enough questions when I called. My horses are barefoot. I did have 2 pairs of trail boots for the front feet of my horses. I wrapped the rest of the feet of our four (2 ponies) with a baby diaper for padding and duck tape. Shoes all the way around would have helped, but I don't think I'd have been comfortable unless they also had pads! We did get away from there with no stone bruises that I know of. We pulled up stakes the next day and headed to another campground closer to home with predominantly dirt trails. My horses can handle a few rocks here and there, and a gravel road for a short distance, but these were big beds of loose stones with no way to go around.

We did see lots of wildlife (but no snakes!) during our short stay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Trail reports All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: