Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Specific medications for your horse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Luck

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Specific medications for your horse Reply with quote

Thanks guys for some great ideas on the other thread!!Now how about specific medications for your horse?
Of course I have the stuff you mentioned in my saddle bags at all time, Judy. Doesnt everyone???????? Wink
sunshine treat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meds I take camping: Bute paste, inj. Banamine, inj. dexamethazone, syringes, needles, dose syringe, triple antibiotic cream, eye meds, furacin spray, electrolytes.

Judy
pooperscooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take all those medications too and we also take some antibiotics such as Tucoprim powder and injectable Baytril. We also keep a bottle of Acepromezine. Also a tube of probiotic paste is good to have on hand if your horse goes off feed or gets a loose stool. We probably take too much stuff but if you're in the middle of nowhere it would be really hard to get ahold of that kind of thing and getting a vet may not be possible.

A few other things I thought of we always keep in the trailer is gall salve (in case your horses gets a girth sore), dmso and furacin and liniment.
If your horse gets sore feet you can mix DMSO and iodine and paint the soles of the feet to help take the soreness out and toughen them up.
ladybugranchnm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the injected medications, do you have to get them from a vet, or are they available locally to you?

I've been able to get bute paste from my vet in the past, but hadn't really thought to ask about injectable meds.

How long is the shelf life on them? Do you have to relace them every year, or do they last a while?

Very interesting, and timely, discussions Lady Luck! Very Happy

Nicole
bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote: "If your horse gets sore feet you can mix DMSO and iodine and paint the soles of the feet to help take the soreness out"

CAREFUL, DMSO will carry the iodine and anyother foreign liquids(including dirt) into the blood stream. DMSO should only be used for clean, well washed areas. Epsom Salt Poultice is a much safer treatment.
FtValleyPS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob wrote:
quote: "If your horse gets sore feet you can mix DMSO and iodine and paint the soles of the feet to help take the soreness out"

CAREFUL, DMSO will carry the iodine and anyother foreign liquids(including dirt) into the blood stream. DMSO should only be used for clean, well washed areas. Epsom Salt Poultice is a much safer treatment.

That's what I understand, too, Bob ... be careful with the DMSO. Also, something I was told by an old rancher and I've tried a couple of times - iodine and turpentine mixed in equal parts for the sole of the hoof to harden it - it worked OK for me and the animals.

Most vets I've dealt with are reluctant for horse owners to take very much medication into the backcountry with them other than the basic stuff we're talking about here - bute (maybe), nitro furizone, banamine (maybe), topical antibiotics, etc., saying it's sort of like what you'd take for people, only bigger, and oriented toward first aid. Twice in the past I've had horses in the backcountry needing medical attention beyond first aid, and both times two different vets came out to the backcountry to treat the animals - successfully. I know that wouldn't work every time, but ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: