Four Corners Trails Forum Index Four Corners Trails
where trail riders meet!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  AlbumAlbum   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sleeping systems?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SarahR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Sleeping systems? Reply with quote

What all do you use to insure a good night's sleep? Pads, airbeds, cots? Sleeping bags or traditional bedding?
Sarah@rosehorse.com
kawayomaana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I could get a good nights sleep
LOL
jrw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only sure way to ensure a good nights sleep for me, is to make sure that I am doggedly tired and that I take a sponge bath. That is the worst thing... being all clammy and dirty. Then I can sleep on almost anything. I have a thermorest pad, a sleeping bag and a sheet. It's not a perfect set up, but it works for me.

Speaking of which, I get to test out my gear again next week. Will be gone to Chaco Canyon for four days doing a rare plant survey. Unfortunately they won't let me ride in the park, so it's all on foot. I will post some photos when I get back.

ps. Being inside my little tent with the doors zipped makes a difference as it keeps the bugs and snakes out where they belong. A mosquito in the tent is almost as bad as a bear in the cooler!
Painted Horse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried them all.

The most comfortable is the bunk in my LQ. Set the thermastat for a comfortable temp and go to bed.

If we back pack in, I carry a larger Thermorest. ( larger than I used to pack on my back) If it's warm enough, I sleep on top of the sleeping bag and pad. But usually at elevation it's cold enough that I want to be in the bag.

Elk & Deer hunting we set up a wall tent and bring in cots with foam pads.
A wood stove keeps it warm at night.
SarahR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Thermorests are pretty good?

We usually bring air beds, but my husband decided agaisnt that this last trip as one had a leak and he didn't trust the other one. Afterall, if your airbeds leak you have nothing else. Except horse pads. We brought our el-cheapo Walmart camp pads and suffered. We're too old for that. So, we are trying to decide on just crossing our fingers with the air beds or coughing up the dough for Thermorests.

Yeah, my bed in the LQ is pretty comfy Smile ha ha!
Sarah@rosehorse.com
mo qh trail rider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" We brought our el-cheapo Walmart camp pads and suffered. We're too old for that. "

That's why we don't pack in. Just something about going in at night inside our LQ trailer with a shower, a nice bed, and a furnace if needed, that is more appealing to me. I have done the tent thing in the past, but I was younger and tougher back then. We once found a sandy beach to pitch our tent on and thought it wouldn't be too bad to sleep on, so didn't blow up the air mattresses. Big mistake. Even soft sand gets pretty hard before morning.

Elaine
Painted Horse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the 2" thick Therma Rest. The 1 inchers that the back packers use help insulate you, but they really don't offer much padding. Since your horse is packing it, the extra weight for the 2" is worth it. Its not like you are counting ounces like a back packer.

We have a lot of fun packing in. If you have the right gear.
kawayomaana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh jrw!~!!!!!
I am so jealous
chaco is one of my most favorite places....I actually got married there 2 yrs ago
SarahR
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painted Horse wrote:
Get the 2" thick Therma Rest. The 1 inchers that the back packers use help insulate you, but they really don't offer much padding. Since your horse is packing it, the extra weight for the 2" is worth it. Its not like you are counting ounces like a back packer.

We have a lot of fun packing in. If you have the right gear.

Thanks! Sounds like that will fit the bill. We've been packing for a few years, and always used the airbeds (super comfy!) but my husband just got stuck on the whole 'what happens if it gets a hole in it while we are camping' thing, and he was right. We'd have nothing to sleep on.

I think we've gone on 7-8 pack trips so far, and all our camps have been pretty good. I prefer the conveniences of my LQ, but something happens to my mindset when we head out on a pack trip and my expectations of comforts drop quite a bit, but somehow it is all fine with me. And I am almost always comfortable. It's an interesting mental transformation to me.
Sarah@rosehorse.com
jrw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I would rather have two 1 in. thermorests than a 2 in. simply because of the trouble it takes to roll them up. BUT a thermorest is not going to be as comfy as you might like. I would never take my elderly mother on a camping trip with a thermorest as she would not stop complaining for at least several years. ITS CAMPING. TENT CAMPING, MOM!!! I think if you want it plush, you have to stick near the LQ and not worry. I would leave my mama at the LQ.

I am just worried that you will buy the Thermorest and figure out they are not what they are cracked up to be.

Compared to sleeping on a pile of horse blankets they are 2x as good, compared to a 4 inch piece of foam pad, they are pitiful back breakers. You should get it out at the store and lay down on it to see it if makes a difference.

AIR MATTRESSES!! Yikes! They will freeze you to death. Even sleeping in a heated house they will try to take you down to floor temperature. Air mattresses are only for hot nights if you ask me.

Yrs,
Patricia

Kawayomaana, You should get your buns off that chair and come go hike with me!
Painted Horse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thermarest contains air. So if it gets a hole, it also will deflat.

So you are not immune to a leak with either product.
The Thermarest being covered in a strong fabric are somewhat resistant to getting wet. A Foam pad just soaks it up.

I don't think I could stay on top of tw 1inch thermarest, as I toss and turn they would slip off of each other and I'd be sleeping on one thin pad.
old guide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Painted Horse. I use the thermarest and have found it to be the best pad I've used. For the thickness, it's hard to beat for the comfort.
kawayomaana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrw, can't wait for them pics!!!!
Are you hiking to the northern road?
jrw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thermarests are about 25 years old and still functional. I think one of them has a very slow leak, but it still has air in the morning. Of course I am a little bit particular where I put them. and I keep them in their storage sacks.

You are right about them slipping around. You can always tie them with a flat strap if you need to, but the other thing is not have them too inflated.

We all need to have a big slumber party on some mountain top in Colorado where we can compare beds and show off our flannel pjs with the cowboy prints. Wouldn't that be a hoot!

Yrs,
Patricia[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Four Corners Trails Forum Index -> Backcountry Skills All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: